Your Body. Your Birth. Your Choice.
This series is based on the principles of Respectful Maternity Care. We aim to provide you with the knowledge to achieve respectful maternity care through supporting your capacity to make informed decisions. While we cannot guarantee you will have the pregnancy you plan, we can help you maximise your capacity to be a key informant in your care.
- The birth of a child is a time of new beginnings, of fresh hopes and new dreams, of change and opportunity. It is a time when the experiences we have can shape our lives and those of our babies and families forever. You a right to reliable information to make informed decisions on your preferred maternity care.
- What are the elements of Maternity Care?
- It is an approach focusing on factors that support your health and well-being. Respectful Maternity Care is not only a crucial component of quality of care; it is a human right.
- Fear is the enemy of the pregnant birthing woman. It stops the essential oxytocin (the love hormone) that you need to birth your baby, to successfully breastfeed, and to transition to parenting.
- Working in partnership with your health professional is about treating you as a competent adult. You are involved with solving concerns, making decisions and implementing care that benefits your ongoing health and well-being.
- It is the right amount of car, offered at the right time, and delivered in a manner that respects, protects, and promotes your human rights.
- Who provides maternity care in Australia? Your health professional options
- Choosing your health professional
- Where to birth your baby – your choices
- The workbook provides in depth information, additional resources and reflective exercises to help you achieve the maternity care your need and want.
Maternal Health Matters Inc. thanks Canberra Mothercraft Society Inc. for their support for and generous funding of this project.