5 questions to ask your maternity care provider
Some tests, treatments and procedures provide little benefit. And in some cases, they may even cause harm.
Use the 5 questions to make sure you end up with the right amount of care — not too much and not too little.
- Do I really need this test or procedure? Tests may help you and your doctor or other healthcare provider determine the problem. Procedures may help to treat it.
- What are the risks? Will there be side effects? What are the chances of getting results that aren’t accurate? Could that lead to more testing or another procedure?
- Are there simpler, safer options? Sometimes all you need to do is make lifestyle changes, such as eating healthier foods or exercising more.
- What happens if I don’t do anything? Ask if your condition might get worse — or better — if you don’t have the test or procedure right away.
- What are the costs? Costs can be financial, emotional or a cost of your time. Where there is a cost to the community, is the cost reasonable or is there a cheaper alternative?
Adapted from material developed by Consumer Reports. http://www.choosingwisely.org.au/resources/consumers/5-questions-to-ask-your-doctor