A Roadmap for Action
WOMEN DELIVER has published a 17-country survey on gender equality.
The study’s findings offer a roadmap of priority actions that governments, the private sector, and civil society should focus on to accelerate progress on gender equality.
What is of interest is how relevant the road map is the achieving responsive, sensitive maternity care systems that cater for the individual woman and respect her human rights.
We have modified the list to demonstrate how applicable the actions are to maternity care.
LEADERS MUST MATCH WORDS WITH ACTION BY:
- Making bigger, bolder commitments and taking meaningful action to ensure all women receive evidenced based maternity care.
- Matching commitments with financing and accountability mechanisms.
- Developing policies and programs that foster collaboration across Maternity Reform Coalitions.
- Addressing harmful maternity care through advocacy and public communications campaigns.
- Eliminating discriminatory laws and enact policies that respect the rights of girls and women, in all their diversity to receive woman-centred maternity care.
- Investing in disaggregated data collection and analysis to inform policies.
- Applying a maternity lens to emergency response and recovery plans reflective of overlapping inequalities, such as race and poverty.
- Ensuring that investments, policies, and programs equally benefit all girls and women, including young people and people from underrepresented groups.