Three ways to ensure you receive safe, quality maternity care
Three ways to ensure you receive maternity care based on the best available current evidence.
- Know what evidence based care is – see The Pregnancy Care Checklist – Australia and use it for your antenatal visits.
- Choose the right health care provider – see Who provides maternity care in Australia? Your health professional options and Choosing your health professional.
- Choose the right birth setting – see Where to birth your baby.
However, even with the above information, there may be situations where there are very limited options available to you. If this is the case remember, you are still entitled to respectful maternity care:
- Decide who will be your key support during pregnancy, labour and after birth,
- Educate yourself – reputable websites, independent antenatal classes and respectable literature, – see our Maternal Health Toolbox; and
- Know your human and legal rights – see the Australian Charter of Healthcare Rights – My Healthcare Rights