Respect – due regards for the feelings, wishes, or rights of women.
- Collaboration – maternity care professionals working cooperatively with women, sharing information, sharing responsibility.
- Consumer Voice – Women shaping policy, planning, service provision and evaluation by collaboratively working towards a shared vision for maternity care
- Choice – a range of reliable evidence based options of maternity care from which a woman can choose.
Dignity – the right of a woman to be valued and respected for her own sake, the state or quality of being worthy of honour or respect.
- Compassion – sensitive to the experience of birthing women, combined with a willingness to help and promote their well-being
- Equity – the absence of avoidable or remediable differences among groups of people, whether those groups are defined socially, economically, demographically, or geographically.
Autonomy – focusing on the woman and respecting her power and control over her own life and her own care.
- Continuity of carer – Care from a known midwife and or doctor to ensure reliable evidenced based care founded on a relationship of mutual trust and respect in line with the woman’s decisions.
- Consent – the process of informed decision and permission granted by the woman, with full knowledge of the possible consequences